Mermet Springs ~ Metropolis, IL
• Find Out More About The Quarry: www.mermetsprings.com.
Attractions: School bus, Boeing 727 used in movie "US Marshalls", Cessna airplanes, semi truck, anchored boat, 100’ wall
Distance: 3 1/2 hours (190 miles)
Amenities: Air fills, on-site camping, limited concessions, hot showers, picnic shelters, changing rooms, dive store, access ramps, chairlift for divers with disabilities, docks with stairs
Max Depth: 120’
Water Temp: 40 F (winter) / mid-80s (summer)
• Olive east to I-270 north
• I-270 north to I-70 east
• I-70 east to I-64 east (near Gateway Arch)
• At about 70 miles, exit onto I-57 south near Mt. Vernon, IL
• At about 48 miles, exit onto I-24 east, near Goreville, IL
• At about 12 miles, take Exit 14, which is US Highway 45, and make a right (south) through Vienna
• The entrance to Mermet Springs is about 10 miles down and will be on your right (west) side
NOTE: If you miss I-24 Exit 14, take the very next exit, Exit 16. Turn right (west) on Route 146 and you'll drive about two miles into downtown Vienna. Turn left (south) on US Highway 45 and proceed to Mermet Springs.
About the Quarry:
An 8.5 acre spring fed stone quarry with 100 foot walls and wooded hills encompassing nearly half of its perimeter. The sheer walls can be followed to depths of 120 ft.
For those who have never been to Mermet, it's one of the must dives in the midwest. Mermet is located on US 45 between Vienna and Metropolis, IL. Mermet's claim to fame is the US Marshals' "Con Air" 727 which was sunk there after being used in the Warner Brothers film US Marshals. The plane's fuselage provides a unique swim through opportunity for the midwestern diver.
Topographically, Mermet Springs is similar to other quarries. Shallower on one side than the other, with a maximum depth of approximately 120' on the deep side. Needless to say, it is fairly cold down there - bottom temperature below the second thermocline is usually 42F.
The owner, Glen Faith, has put a lot of effort into making Mermet a "First Class" diving facility and the Web site is a great resource to learn more about this facility.
Early spring and late fall are some of the best times to dive at Mermet. The student population is relatively low - outside of peak season to do certifications - and the visibility is usually up.
Entrance fee for the quarry is $20.00 per diver for the day. Non-divers are charged $5.00. Certified instructors and children under 6 are free.
• No parking in front of the pavillions, but you can pull up to unload
• No alcohol
• You must show your c-card or be accompanied by an instructor
• No solo diving - you must have a buddy
• No pets
• No fishing or spearfishing
2119 East Fifth, Metropolis, Illinois 62960
Room rates start at $59 + tax per night
Exit 16 on I-24, 709 E. Vine, Vienna, Illinois 62995
Room rates start at $55 + tax per night
Super 8 Metropolis
2055 Fifth St., Metropolis, Illinois 62920
Room rates start at $65 + tax per night (discounts available)
• Shore Diving.com
• Dive Training.com